JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KMIZ)
Jefferson City’s Environmental Health Division continued inspections at Jefferson City School District buildings in October. Four came up clean: East, Southwest, Thorpe Gordon and West elementary schools.
The other three schools each had one core violation.
- Belair Elementary School: Loose floor tile with water underneath, floor tile missing at walk-in cooler entrance and caulking seal missing at walk-in cooler/freezer entrance.
- Cedar Hills Elementary School: Boxes of single-service items stored directly on vestibule floor (corrected at time of inspection).
- Lewis and Clark Middle School: Overstocked, some boxes of single-service articles found on basement floor during storage.
Priority violations are more serious than core violations. Jefferson City's Environmental Health Division defines priority violations as those that are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard.
In September, inspectors visited five other schools in JCSD. The only schools that have yet to be inspected in the 2020-2021 school year are Callaway Hills, North and Pioneer Trail elementary schools.
You can read about all of the October inspections below.
- East Elementary School
- Southwest Elementary School
- Thorpe Gordon Elementary School
- West Elementary School
- Towne Grill
- Dollar Tree (Missouri Boulevard)
- Lion No. 11
- Menard’s Home Improvement
- Gerbes West Bakery Department
- Cole County Farmers Market
- Sam’s Club - Meat
- Jamaican Jerk Hut Restaurant
- Backyard Butchers
- American Legion: Two core violations. Interior upper edge of bulk ice machine not clean; base coving in dish room/kitchen coming loose from wall.
- Belair Elementary School: One core violation. Loose floor tile with water underneath, floor tile missing at walk-in cooler entrance, and caulking seal missing at walk-in cooler/freezer entrance.
- Cedar Hills Elementary School: One core violation. Boxes of single service items stored directly on vestibule floor (corrected at time of inspection).
- Lewis and Clark Middle School: One core violation. Overstocked, some boxes of single-service articles found on basement floor during storage.
- Casey’s General Store (Eastland Drive): Two priority and one core violation. Items in cold holding unit were not at the proper temperature, improper method of thawing items, items in grab-and-go case not at proper temperature, debris on walls in food prep area and no lidded trash can in restroom. At follow-up inspection later in the month, inspectors found no violations.
- Sapphire’s: One core violation. Grease residue accumulation above fryers between hood and wall and hand soap not present at bar hand sink.
- Ecco Lounge: Three core violations. Employee restroom downstairs has inadequate hot water to hand sink, slicer guards soiled with food residues, metal flooring in keg walk-in cooler has holes present, light fixture downstairs near meat cutting missing light shields, wall by meat cutting downstairs needs surface sealing.
- Gerbes West Deli Department: One core violation. Debris present on floor behind equipment.
- Love Sushi: One core violation. Debris present on shelf holding cooking equipment, items stored on floor in storage, no hand sign present in women’s restroom.
- Oscar’s Classic Diner: One core violation. Water heater is down, non-functional. At follow up inspection on Nov. 2, inspectors found no violations.
- Ria’s: Two core violations. Coved base tile missing in various locations within the kitchen/dish station, cold water faucet handle leaks at bar hand sink, dish station hand sink faucet handles leak, and ice maker bin interior soiled.
- Subway: One core violation. Debris on floor in walk-in freezer.
- Walgreen’s (Eastland Drive): One priority and one core violation. Several baby foods found out of date (corrected on site) and men’s restroom ceiling showing signs of water damage/ceiling air vent grids soiled with dust in both restrooms.
- Zesto Drive-In South: One core violation. Dust accumulation on vent cover/wall surface.
- Gerbes West Meat Department: One core violation. Debris present in open display case and torn seal on walk-in cooler door.
- Hy-Vee Food Store - Bakery: One core violation. Flooring in need of repair in certain areas, debris present on floor, debris present in reach-in cooler case.
- Subway (Route C): One core violation. Utensil in storage had food debris present (corrected on-site).
- Little Explorers Discovery Center/Jefferson City Day Care Center, Inc.: One core violation. Ice maker bin interior soiled (corrected on-site).