Jefferson City restaurant inspections: Dessert shop cited with most violations in August
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KMIZ)
Jefferson City Environmental Health inspectors looked at 48 establishments in the month of August. While 12 came up with no violations, the other 75 percent were cited for violations.
The establishment with the most violations was Great American Cookie & Marble Slab Creamery at the Capital City Mall. The dessert shop had a total of eight violations, with three priority and five core violations.
Establishments with no violations:
- Best Western Capital Inn
- Cole County Farmers Market
- Hy-Vee Italian deli
- Oak Hills Golf Course
- Mr Convenience
- Papa John’s Pizza
- Starbucks (Truman Boulevard)
- Sam’s Club bakery
- Subway (Missouri Boulevard)
- Taco Bell (Missouri Boulevard)
- Target grocery section
- Vines on Broadway
Establishments with violations:
- Arris’ Bistro & the Liquid Lounge: shelf above the food prep cooler in disrepair, wiping cloths not being stored in sanitizer between use
- Arris’ Pizza Palace: no light covers over lights in kitchen prep area
- Break Time (Missouri Boulevard): no covered trash can in restroom
- Burger King (Christy Drive): water in the ceiling tiles and light fixtures; debris in hot holding cabinets, the floor at the char broiler and drive-thru, and in the storage area; no time stickers on the food items; debris at the drive-thru soda drain; tobacco products on the prep table
- Dollar General (Missouri Boulevard): debris in the bottom of cooler
- Dragon Kitchen: dust on ceiling tracks above buffet, mold on caulk around bathroom hand sinks, freezer in disrepair, meat cleaver chipped
- El Espolon Mexican Restaurant (Eastland Drive): Several broken toilet tank lids in women’s restroom, food in cooler and vegetable prep table too warm, light without a shield over meat prep table
At a follow-up inspection, officials found the kitchen light still unshielded and the toilet tank lids were missing and being replaced
- El Espolon Mexican Restaurant (Rock Hill Road): broken wall, missing floor tile, back door needs replacement, doors on vegetable prep table have torn/loose sill and gaskets, draft beer cooler too warm, no trash lids on dumpster, litter around dumpster
- Fuji Japanese Steak House: sushi display cooler had broken windows and missing handles, paper towels at hand sink not in dispenser, dish machine doesn’t stop running after finishing cycle
- Great American Cookie & Marble Slab Creamery: personal medicine, glass cleaner and insecticide stored with straws, icing and other items under the front counter; employee said the triple sink is used to wash and rinse food contact surfaces, no sanitizer used; cooling rack cover torn, unsealed wood boards used for rack leveling in cooler and smooth side of the dough rollout counter is missing; dipper well and marble slab turned off and there was no running water on the utensils between uses; fudge brownie cookie dough and chocolate cake were moldy; restroom door does not close on its own and it does not latch correctly; cooling rack, leveling boards, and Icee machine knobs were moldy, boxes of single-serve items were on the floor of the storage room
At a follow-up inspection, officials found the restroom door still not able to close on its own and the dough rollout counter Formica trim was missing.
- High Rise Bakery: drinkware needed to be polished, utensils stored incorrectly, debris on floor and wall.
- Hy-Vee Chinese deli: flooring in need of repair, debris on equipment
- Hy-Vee meat section: debris on display coolers and on vents fan in walk-in cooler
- J.C. Eagle Stop (Missouri Boulevard): paper towel dispenser broken at hand sink
- Kentucky Fried Chicken (Missouri Boulevard): item not at the right temperature; debris at beverage stations, floors, floor drain, exhaust filter, bottom of the reach-in coolers, and air vent; torn gaskets on reach-in cooler; front hand sink was not properly secured to the wall.
- Lee’s Famous Recipe: food on floor in freezer, personal items on food shelves by freezer, food debris on floor in cooler and outside dumpster
- Long John Silvers: leak in dish machine; front and back counters in disrepair; cracked ceiling tile; soiled freezer door gaskets, microwave roof, hots cabinet, and ice maker shatter plate
- McDonald’s (Eastland Drive): grease deposits at fry station and at grease dump tank, one hand wash sink doesn’t have water flowing for enough time after turned on, another hand sink not working, cleaning needed on surfaces and corners of McCafe and shake machines.
- McDonald’s (Missouri Boulevard): missing light shields, frappe machine bin too warm
- McDonald’s (Ten Mile Drive): Canadian bacon and assembly cooler too warm, coved base tile broken, torn door gaskets on frappe machine, leak from drink station on the floor
- Mel’s Country Cafe Inc.: soiled racks in cooler, boxed food on floor of freezer, restroom doors don’t close on their own, employee restroom paper towel dispenser not working, cooler evaporator clogged with debris, debris on kitchen floor.
- Mod Pizza: not proper date labels on items in walk-in cooler
- New China Restaurant: food residue on walls, food debris in cooler
- Paddy Malone's Irish Pub: food prep table too warm
- Popeye’s Louisiana Chicken (Missouri Boulevard): build up on dining room soda machine, no toilet paper or paper towels in women’s restroom, debris on the floor of the men’s restroom, black buildup on the wall at triple sink, food debris in employee hand sink, debris at the bottom of the fry freezer, buildup on exhaust vents, items not at the right temperature, reach-in cooler at the wrong temperature, walk-in freezer door not closing all the way
- Red Lobster: torn gaskets on cooler, two lights not working right in the walk-in cooler, dish machine not washing or rinsing at the right temperature, debris on wall in dish room and on floor drain, item not at the right temperature
- Samaritan Center: laundry sink has no vacuum breaker with hose
- Sam’s Club: flooring in walk-in freezer in disrepair, debris on chip shelf and in the baking supply area, grinder in customer area had debris, several dented cans on a pallet
- Sawaddee: debris on a few utensils
- Schnucks deli: food debris/residue on the ceiling of the microwave and the floor, dust on ceiling tiles
- Schnucks deli food bar: potentially hazardous food product too warm
- Smallcakes: debris on equipment
- Smoothie King (Missouri Boulevard): handle broken on ice scoop, missing tiles around the floor drain
- Starbucks and Food Avenue at Target: not hot enough water in hand sink, ceiling in the back room and above ice maker not intact
- Sweet Smoke Barbecue II: unlabeled spray bottle contents
- Washington Park Ice Arena: odor coming from the grease trap
You can read the full August inspection report below.