COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)
The Class of 2022 was inducted into the the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame Sunday during an enshrinement at the Holiday Inn Executive Center.
Former Mizzou basketball and football stand out Justin Gage was among the 2022 class. Gage not only had a great career as a duel-sport athlete for the Jefferson City Jays and Mizzou Tigers, but he played in the NFL for both the Chicago Bears and Tennessee Titans.
"It really touches a nerve and the accomplishments and just having a chance to reflect back on the past experiences and the people that have impacted me throughout these years and it makes it so surreal for me," Gage said.
The Mizzou inductees didn't stop there as wrestling coach Brian Smith was also in the 2022 class. Smith enters his 25th season with the Tigers as the winningest coach in program history.
"I don't think any person that's being inducted today was not influenced or mentored along the way," Smith said.
Mid-Missouri high schools were also well represented including Rock Bridge girls basketball head coach Jill Nagel. She is entering her 17th season with the Bruins and has won five state titles.
"This doesn't happen in a vacuum," Nagel said. "I've never scored a point or secured a rebound while I'm at Rock Bridge and so it's the players, the coaches, the administrators and the parents that make it all happen so we view it as a program honor."
The Class of 2022 includes:
- Justin Gage - Jefferson City H.S./University of Missouri/Chicago Bears & Tennessee Titans
- Jeff Sherman – Former Central Methodist University men’s basketball coach
- Brian Smith – University of Missouri wrestling coach
- Jill Nagel – Columbia Rock Bridge High School girls basketball coach
- Dr. Kerwin Urhahn – Retired Executive Director of MSHSAA
- Dale Labuary & the late Geary Labuary – Former Monroe City & California football coaches
- Hermann High School Volleyball Program
- Chad Moller – Former Mizzou Associate Director of Athletics-Strategic Communications
- Mike Griggs – Former Director of Columbia Parks & Recreation Department
- Hickman High School Girls Swimming & Diving Era of 1979-1999
- Wendy Spratt – Columbia College softball coach
- Boonville High School’s 1974 State Championship Football Team
- Kent Fewell – Retired Columbia Hickman High School baseball coach
- Ron Lykins – University of Missouri Wheelchair Basketball coach
- Blair Oaks High School’s 2006 & 2007 State Championship Baseball Teams
- Michelle Boyd – Truman State University Head Athletic Trainer
- Mexico High School Boys Track & Field Era of 1974-1979
- David Sturm – Longtime high school umpire and referee from Salisbury
- Westran High School Softball Era of 1984-1999
- Tipton High School Boys Golf Era of 2003-2008
- Columbia Orthopaedic Group – John Q. Hammons Founder’s Award