Skip to Content

One dog dies from house fire in Jefferson City; four others safely recovered


At 7:45 Saturday evening, Jefferson City Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 400 block of Lafayette Street. Firefighters saw flames coming out of the first-floor window. According to a news release, firefighters were able to get the blaze under control within minutes.

A family is now displaced, two adults and two children. Four dogs from the house made it out safely, however one dog died after firefighters were able to get it out of the house. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Through an investigation, Jefferson City Fire determined it started on the kitchen stove. Unattended cooking is the top reason for house fires, according to the Jefferson City Fire Department.

The house has moderate damage from the fire and water on the first floor where the fire was, as well as smoke damage throughout the home.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Article Topic Follows: Jefferson City

Jump to comments ↓



ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content