HALLSVILLE, Mo. (KMIZ)
Boone County firefighters say a former wildlife refuge owner died after a recent Hallsville house fire.
Charles D. Tolentino, 68, of Columbia, died as a result of the blaze on Jan. 5, Boone County Fire Protection District Assistant Chief Gale Blomenkamp said.
Investigators with the Missouri State Fire Marshal's Office said an explosion preceded the fire and that a propane leak could not be ruled out.
Last week, firefighters said Tolentino was found unresponsive in a back hallway on the upper level of the residence on 10100 N. Hague Rd. He was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and was later pronounced dead, the fire protection district said.
Previously, Tolentino owned and operated D&D Farm Animal Sanctuary and Rescue on N. Creasy Springs Road. USDA records say the refuge's license was canceled in April 2019.
Boone County property records show Tolentino purchased the house in Hallsville in December.