COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)
By the end of Monday night, Mid-Missouri could see its first snowfall accumulations.
The ABC 17 Stormtrack is tracking the potential for 1 to 3 inches of snow for parts of the area from Monday night into Tuesday morning. Drivers will want to consider preparing their vehicles with winter necessities if they get stuck in the snow.
- Extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Small shovel
- Bottled water
- Non-perishable food
- Necessary medications
- Booster cables
- A brightly covered cloth to use as a flag
- A small sack of sand to use for traction under your wheels.
MoDOT asks drivers who get stuck to stay with their vehicles and not to search for help. The department encourages stranded drivers to do the following:
- Display a troubling sign using a brightly colored cloth
- Run your engine for about 10 minutes each hour and keep the exhaust pipe clear of snow.
- Use newspapers, maps, and even car mats for added insulation.
- Clap your hands and move your arms and legs occasionally
- Don't stay in one position for too long
Drivers that need to travel can use the MoDOT Traveler Information Map website to find the latest road conditions across the state.