Skip to Content

Security guard involved in Waffle House shooting still with company

The security guard involved in the fatal New Year’s shooting at Waffle House is still with the security company Signal 88, according to the company’s president, Doug Lane.

Lane told ABC 17 News that the employee, who has only been identified as “R.M” in court documents, is still employed with Signal 88, although he is not currently working. Lane also said Signal 88 is no longer working with Waffle House.

When asked if the company stands by the guard’s actions, which resulted in the death of Anthony Warren, Lane said they are cooperating fully with the Columbia Police Department’s investigation.

Lane said he could not answer questions about Signal 88’s training practices and protocol for instances where guards use firearms because of the ongoing investigation.

Since the shooting, which took place just before 2 a.m. on Jan. 1, Columbia police have contacted Signal 88 three times. The most recent communication was Friday, according to Lane.

There have been multiple arrests and additional legal action since the New Year’s shooting. The family of Warren filed a lawsuit Wednesday against Waffle House and the unnamed security guard for wrongful death.

Columbia police issued a warrant Wednesday for Matthew McMillan, who was initially involved in the incident that resulted in Warren’s death. McMillan has been charged with second degree murder, armed criminal action, assault and unlawful use of a weapon.

Another man, Jaylon Freelon, has been arrested and charged with tampering with evidence after allegedly removing and hiding one of the guns involved in the incident.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content