Skip to Content

Fire officials warn about fire safety during the holidays

Boone County Fire and Columbia fire officials are warning people to avoid unattended cooking and turning off candles when lighting them.

Columbia’s assistant fire chief, Brad Frazier, tells residents one of the most common reason why fire’s start has a lot to do with unattended cooking and candles.

“When you’re cooking, make sure you keep any clothing that might be loose away from open flames. Of course don’t leave it unattended. Then with candles, just make sure someone is there when candles are lit. Blow them out when you leave,” Frazier said.

The house fire in Sturgeon started in a home office, and officials told ABC 17 News the damage has an estimated cost of $100,000.

The woman was not home at the time of the fire.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content