Skip to Content

Suspect charged after disturbance in Jefferson City involving guns, children

Update 3/14 4:15 p.m.: Cole County Prosecuting Attorney Mark Richardson filed criminal charges of endangering the welfare of a child, armed criminal action, first-degree assault and domestic assault against Trey Garrett late Tuesday afternoon.

Court documents said Garrett kicked in the door at 525 E. Capitol Ave., punched and pistol-whipped the 22-year-old victim and two of her children and then shot at them four times as they escaped.

The victims were taken to Capitol Region Medical Center and treated for a concussion as well as neck injuries.

Hospital officials confirm the emergency room was placed on lockdown until Garrett was in custody.

JCPD investigators used Garrett’s cellphone ping provided by his phone company to track his location and arrest him.

When interviewed at the police station, Garrett denied the claims of assault and weapons violations.

Garrett remains in the Cole County jail on a $100,000 bond.

Update 3/14 11:15 a.m.: Jefferson City police confirm the name of the suspect in Monday night’s domestic disturbance is Trey Garrett.

Online court records do not show charges filed against Garrett as of this publication.

ABC 17 News will continue to follow this case and post updates.

Update 3/14: ABC 17 News talked to a sergeant with the Jefferson City Police Department who confirms none of the victims suffered life threatening injuries.

Police said the suspect remains in the Cole County jail pending charges and says charged will likely get filed Tuesday.

Original: Jefferson City police took a person into custody after a domestic disturbance Monday night.

According to Capt. Doug Shoemaker, police were called to the 500 block of East Capitol Avenue to a physical disturbance. Police had also received reports of several gunshots being fired during the disturbance.

When officers arrived, they found a 22-year-old woman, an infant and a child. They then secured the scene.

The three were treated at a local hospital that was placed on lockdown as a precautionary measure because the suspect had fled before officers arrived to the scene.

The 22-year-old suspect was taken into custody shortly thereafter.

ABC 17 News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content