Skip to Content

Home considered a total loss in Boone County fire

The Boone County Fire Protection District responded to a massive house fire at 204 East Davis Street, in northern Boone County, around 3 a.m. Sunday.

More than three hours later, the fire was still blazing.

Assistant Fire Chief Gale Blomenkamp said that there were five people and a dog in the house and they escaped with no injuries, but the home is a total loss.

Blomenkamp said that even though there is a Fire Protection District building right across the street from the home, by the time they were called, there wasn’t much firefighters could do to extinguish the fire.

“We tried to make entry into the front, just to do a quick search just to confirm that nobody was in there. They made it about 5 feet inside the door, when the fire flashed and actually had fire above them and all around them,” Blomenkamp told our crews at scene this morning.He said that one reason why the flames spread throughout the house and up to the roof so quickly is because the house had a balloon frame, which means the inside of the walls connected from bottom to top without interruption.

Blomenkamp said they may not be able to determine a cause for the fire because the damage is so extensive.

He said the house was not equipped with a working smoke alarm.

The American Red Cross arrived to help the owners of the house.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content