Skip to Content

Eric Greitens holds rally in Columbia ahead of primary election

Republican gubernatorial candidate Eric Greitens is holding a rally at his field office in Columbia, just days ahead of the primary election.

Greitens is one of four republican candidates vying for a spot on the general election ballot. ABC 17 News checked the other candidates websites on Saturday morning for any other rallies. We only found one being held by Catherine Hanaway on Monday in Joplin.

Mid-Missouri voters also only have a few days left to decide how they’ll vote on mid-Missouri specific issues.

In Columbia, one of the more controversial ticket issues is Proposition One. It asks if the city should increase hotel tax from four to five percent to help pay for a new airport terminal.

Supporters say hotels are for tourists and a new airport will help tourism.

But there’s been some push back from the hotel industry. Greg Walker, president of the Missouri Hotel and Lodging Association, a statewide group,wrote a letter sayinghe believes the city is incorrectly labeling the improvements at the airport as tourism promotion.

Jefferson City residents have their own Proposition One to vote on. Theirs asks if the city should extend the half-cent sales tax to help fund capital improvements.

The tax has been in place for about 30 years but needs to extended every five years.

Supporters say it could generate $25 million in the next five years.

60% would go to streets and sidewalks projects. The tax is currently helping to fund the Lafayette Street Interchange. The other 40% would be split up between public safety, parks, and other projects.

According to the mayor, there are no opposition groups to this sales tax extension.

Primary day is Tuesday, August 2.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content