Skip to Content

Cole Co. voters to decide on half-cent sales tax in April

Voters in Cole County and Jefferson City will head to the polls in less than two months.

They’ll have to decide whether or not to renew a 1/2 cent sales tax that has been in place since 1986.

If it’s approved in April, it’s expected to bring in more than $30 million in 5 years.

On Thursday, ABC 17 News got more information about what’s been done in the last 30 years.

The tax has converted more than 170 miles of gravel roads to asphalt.

Six large bridges were replaced and two major routes were also improved.

Officials said they want to get things done quickly, so that’s why it has an expiration date.

“The intent of the sunset provision is simple, and that was to protect the interests of the Cole County voters and to place a time frame on the county that we want to see these projects done. I’m proud to say I think the county’s met every one that they’ve put on there.”

85% of the money from the tax is spent on roads. The remaining 15% goes to county facilities.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content