Skip to Content

Jefferson City Police investigate holiday weekend crime

Jefferson City law enforcement had their hands full after 4th of July celebrations this weekend.

Officers from several agencies were called out to fights, peace disturbances, and even shots fired calls throughout the early morning hours Sunday.

It all started after 2:00 Sunday morning after all of the businesses were closed.

Three people were arrested after fights broke out in the downtown area, and police told ABC 17 the mayhem didn’t stop there.

“It’s 4th of July, everybody’s out later than they normally would be doing things they normally would not do in terms of a celebration. This is clearly one that went out of control,” said Capt. Doug Shoemaker with the Jefferson City Police.

Around 3:00 Sunday morning, officers were called to Capitol Avenue and Cherry Street for several disturbance calls.

Witnesses said large groups of people were gathered in the street shooting off fireworks and playing loud music.

“Officers arrived, tried to move people out of the street and stop the disturbance, loud music, partying, things of that nature. They refused to move. One person that was playing loud music was arrested by the officers at which point the crowd then came around the officers,” said Shoemaker.

23-year-old James Duhart was arrested as he and many others in the crows yelled threats and spit at the officers.

“We arrested the initial suspect for kind of starting the disturbance, and after it sort of broke up,” said Shoemaker.

However, it wouldn’t stay broken up for long. Police said a short time later, the same group was at it again, only this time, someone had a gun. Police cleared out the crowd again and found 5 shell casings.

Shoemaker said it bled over into the 800 block of Stadium near the convenience stores and the same group of people convened there.

Just after 4:30 in the morning, officers were met with even more threats and violence.

“There was one pulled up and had a tree branch and was threatening to assault an officer. He was tackled and taken to jail,” said Shoemaker.

Five more arrests were made that night with the help of Lincoln University Police, Capitol Police, and Cole County deputies.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content