Skip to Content

Improperly discarded cigarette causes fire at Columbia apartment complex

The Columbia Fire Department was called out to an apartment fire just before 6 a.m. Sunday.

When firefighters arrived on scene of Ashland Manor Apartments, flames were seen coming from the second floor deck of a three story multi-unit apartment building.

Crews determined the fire had burned through the outside wall of the building and spread to the inside wall space.

After extinguishing the fire on the deck, firefighters used a chainsaw to remove part of the wood siding and put out the remaining flames.

Fire officials said all damage was contained to the outside of the building. A first floor apartment had water damage.

A fire marshal determined the fire started from an improperly discarded cigarette.

Preliminary damage estimates are around $20,000.

Crews said no one was injured in the fire. They said fire alarms were in the apartment, but because the fire was on the outside of the building, they did not go off before the 911 call was made.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content