Skip to Content

Second suspect charged in Columbia armed robberies

Another person is facing charges for the string of armed robberies in Columbia late last year.

Friday, Terrence Harvey, 17, was charged for robbing Speedy Mart, Budget Host Inn and We B Smokin in December.

Police arrested Harvey and Jafari Boss on December 18th. And police say up until Thursday night, Harvey was being held in the Juvenile Justice Center. The Boone County Prosecutor said a judge ruled Thursday that Harvey is now certified to stand trial as an adult.

According to court documents, Harvey is Boss’ step-son. Harvey is facing nine felony charges, three counts each of robbery, armed criminal action and kidnapping.

But Harvey may have been involved in more crimes including the armed robberies at Denny’s, Jimmy Johns, China Moon and an armed home invasion, according to court documents. And Assistant Boone County Prosecutor Tracy Gonzalez said more charges may be filed.

Friday, Judge Kim Shaw read Harvey his charges in court over video with the Boone County Jail, where he is being held.

Court documents show Columbia police have a large amount of evidence tying Harvey to the string of armed robberies last December.

Police said they found a mask at Denny’s after the armed robbery on Dec. 6. Police found similar masks sold at Party City in Columbia. That store had sold a black and a red mask on Dec. 3. The masks were bought with Harvey’s mother’s credit card. Around five hours later, two men robbed Speedy Mart on Old Highway 63 wearing black and red masks.

Police also found pictures on Harvey’s Facebook page with Harvey wearing a similar jacket to what one of the suspects was wearing in the Speedy Mart robbery.

Then on Dec. 12, a resident reported an armed home invasion and described the suspects as two black men wearing black and red masks. The resident told police he feared for his life, so he fired a weapon through the kitchen window to scare the men away. Police found duct tape at the home. The same day, Harvey checked into the hospital with a gunshot wound and told police he used duct tape to cover it.

Then, after the China Moon robbery on Dec. 13, an employee at nearby Petro-Mart told police they saw two black men run out of the store and get into a cab. Police found the number used to the cab belonged to Boss. And the cab brought the two men to Boss and Harvey’s home. Police also found out a taxi had been used to pick up the same two men shortly after the robberies at Budget Host Inn and We B Smokin.

Prosecutor Gonzalez is also handling Boss’ case.

“His proceeding is pending in associate circuit court as well,” Gonzalez said. “And so the next step for both of these individuals is to get their case from the associate court up to circuit court so that we can start preparing for jury trial and negotiating with their attorneys as to what direction the case will take.”

Friday, Judge Shaw told Harvey to file for a public defender. His bond is set for $300,000. And he is set to appear in court again Monday afternoon.

Jafari Boss is scheduled to appear in court for his preliminary hearing on April 7.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content