BALTIMORE (AP) — A Benedictine monk has lost his priestly faculties after the Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore recently became aware of a payment he made several years ago to settle sexual harassment allegations. Last week, the pastor of St. Benedict Church was removed after serving there for nearly 40 years. The archdiocese has said in a statement Sunday that they learned about the settlement from reporters for The Baltimore Banner. They opened an internal investigation and decided to dismiss the priest. He has since returned to Saint Vincent Archabbey, a Benedictine monastery in Pennsylvania. A spokesperson for the archabbey said she was unable to comment because of the ongoing investigation.
BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION
ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.
Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here
If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.