The ABC 17 Sports Department came up with a list of the top ten most important sports stories of the decade. You can watch the full recap in the video player above.
TOP TEN STORIES
10. Porter family returns to Columbia
9. Michael Sam becomes first openly gay player drafted in the NFL
8. Karissa Schweizer wins six national titles
7. Sophie Cunningham rules as 'Mayor of Columbia'
6. J'den Cox represents Columbia on the world stage
5. NCAA drops the hammer on Mizzou
4. Mizzou football wins back-to-back SEC East titles
3. Mizzou football team announces its player protest
2. Gary Pinkel retires as Mizzou's head football coach
1. Mizzou joins the SEC
- Wayne and Susan Kreklow lead Mizzou volleyball to two SEC Championships.
- Mizzou wrestling wins eight straight conference titles.
- Rock Bridge tennis wins seven boys state titles and seven girls state titles.
- Centralia softball wins four state championships.
- Blair Oaks wins 47 straight regular season games (streak still ongoing), including a state title in 2018.
- Cardinals, Royals, Blues win championships
- Former MU baseball star Max Scherzer won three Cy Young Awards, threw two no-hitters and won the 2019 World Series with the Nationals.
- Columbia College basketball coach and athletic director Bob Burchard retired after 31 seasons. He won nearly 800 games and helped lead the Cougars to five conference championships this decade.
- Central Methodist men's soccer wins two straight national titles.
- Lincoln women's track wins three division II outdoor national championships and two division II indoor national championships.
- Mizzou playmaker Gahn McGaffie returns opening kickoff 86 yards for a touchdown en route to the Tigers homecoming win over No. 1 Oklahoma on Oct. 23, 2010.