Skip to Content

CPD names man shot by police Wednesday night, says man had knife


The Columbia Police Department held a news conference Thursday at 10 a.m. after a man was shot and killed by police in a standoff Wednesday night.

Police say Jordan Pruyn was shot and killed after engaging in the standoff for several hours with authorities. The standoff happened in the 4200 block of Clark Lane.

"This is never the outcome that we strive for," CPD Chief Geoff Jones said. "We truly strive to preserve life.  To friends and family, I am sorry for what you are going through."

After hours of engaging in the standoff, investigators said at the press conference that Pruyn rushed at officers with a knife. He was told to stop and drop the knife but didn't. He allegedly then ran at police "in a threatening manner" and was shot and killed by two officers.

Officers first allegedly hit Pruyn with a bean bag, but it had no affect, according to CPD spokesman Christian Tabak.

According to Jones, the officers involved in the shooting have had experience in the police department. One officer has roughly 18 years of department experience, the other has roughly four. The officers who shot Pruyn were not named.

According to a probable cause statement, police arrived on scene to find Pruyn chasing a woman around outside with a gun in his hand.

Court documents said Pruyn had locked the woman out of the home after she came back from a walk. She was eventually let back inside by another man. From there, Pruyn allegedly grabbed the woman and pulled her to the ground. She ran outside and Pruyn began to chase her.

The woman said in the probable cause statement that she had been in a relationship with Pruyn.

According to officials, officers told Pruyn to drop his weapon and get on the ground. Pruyn threw a gun on the ground and ran inside.

Officers used a megaphone to tell Pruyn to exit the home and that he was under arrest.

"Multiple resources were called into the scene to help resolve the situation at this time, including the department's crisis negotiation team, medics, the departments embedded community health liasions and the SWAT team," Tabak said.

According to Jones, there were officers with body cameras but also some that did not have them at the time of the incident.

"In a response like this, it's a call in for SWAT and crisis negotiators, so they wouldn't be wearing a camera because they're not on duty," Chief Jones said. "Our cameras are docked in the station so when they get called to an emergency situation like this, they don't have time to go to CPD to get a camera. There were people on duty who had their cameras, so we have video recording of the incident."

“Initially we got here…(we) tried to make contact, communicate with him. It was on and off for several hours, trying to resolve it peacefully,” CPD Assistant Chief Jeremiah Hunter said. “He would come out and talk to us a little bit, angrily. That's when the decision was made to call out the SWAT team and our crisis negotiators.”

Article Topic Follows: Top Stories

Jump to comments ↓

Ethan Heinz


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content