Skip to Content
Mexico

Mexico home suffers heavy damage in Tuesday fire

MEXICO, Mo. (KMIZ)

A fire caused by smoking caused heavy damage to a Mexico home Tuesday.

The fire in the 900 block of Union Street broke out before 9 a.m., the Mexico Department of Public Safety said in a news release. Firefighters saw heavy flames coming from the upper and lower levels, the release said.

The house was vacant but the owners' relative had been staying in and around the house, the department said. That person was in the attached garage when the fire started, according to the release. Authorities said the fire was an accident caused by smoking.

The fire was completely extinguished by about 12:30 p.m. and the building had "significant" structural damage, the department said. The man staying at the property was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

No one else was injured.

Audrain / Fire / News / Structure Fire / Top Stories
Author Profile Photo

Matthew Sanders

Matthew Sanders is the digital content director at ABC 17 News.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Skip to content