Skip to Content

Marshall High School students protest after a student was allegedly raped at a prom after-party


Students from Marshall High School walked out of class today to voice their frustration against the Marshall Public Schools after a student was allegedly raped at a party after the prom.

Marshall Police Department told ABC 17 News that they opened an investigation into the incident Thursday. "We are concerned about the health and safety of the parents and the students." Marshall police couldn't comment about the investigation, but said that they respect the student's right to protest.

In a written statement on the Marshall Public Schools website said "students protested the district's inaction concerning an incident that occurred over the weekend, off school property." MPS said that they have "no jurisdiction in these types of incidents, but does take seriously the disruption of the educational process within and outside the building."

Prom took place on April 30th, and students at the protest said that they no longer feel safe at school, and they are demanding the school take action.

"We are out here protesting because if they won't fight for us, we have to fight for ourselves," said Payton Overly-Mcdowell. Overly-Mcdowell is a Marshall High School student who said that she wants the school to "recognize that this is wrong."

The victim's cousin said that they appreciate the support that the students and community have given his family. The cousin said that the victim was expelled from school for disrupting the class, while her alleged attackers can still attend school. He did say that they are seeking legal action against her attackers. The family asked to not be identified at this time.

Students are also being expelled for taking part in the Thursday protest.

"Right now, no one knows anything, our children got told they were expelled," said Thomas Steward, a student's father.

Steward said that they were called to pick up their daughter from school yesterday because she was "being disruptive, and she needs to leave."

Steward said that both he and his wife tried to contact to school to find out if their daughter was suspended, expelled, or when she can return to school.

"I couldn't get them to answer me, I couldn't even get them to take my phone call." Steward said he called the school four times today, and his wife called 5-6 times.

ABC 17 News went to the Marshall Public Schools office, but they denied to comment.

Article Topic Follows: Local News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Marina Diaz

Marina is a Multimedia Journalist for ABC 17 News, she is originally from Denver, Colorado. She went to Missouri Valley College where she played lacrosse and basketball, and anchored her school’s newscast.


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content