JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KMIZ)
Jefferson City firefighters say a fire called out Tuesday afternoon caused about $35,000 in damage to an apartment building. Firefighters said unattended cooking caused it.
Crews responded to a two and a half story building in the 800 block of Washington Street at 2:38 p.m.
JCFD reported smoke was coming from the basement of the building when crews arrived. A release from the fire department said firefighters quickly put out the kitchen fire.
Crews said all seven occupants were accounted for and two animals were rescued from the apartment. JCFD was able to save a dog and a large bird from separate apartments after the blaze was extinguished, according to the release.
Firefighters located several smoke detectors inside the building, but none were working.
JCFD said the American Red Cross is assisting some of the tenants.