Skip to Content
Fulton

Several cats killed in Fulton house fire

Fulton Fire Department logo
Fulton Fire Department
The Fulton Fire Department logo.

FULTON, Mo. (KMIZ)

The Fulton Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire around 11:20 a.m. on Wednesday that killed five cats.

Fulton fire chief Kevin Coffelt said firefighters responded to 408 South Ravine Street after utility workers reported seeing smoke coming from the house.

Coffelt said a space heater in the basement caused the fire.

"You don't think (space heaters) are getting that hot, but they do," Coffelt said. "You can't store combustible material next to them."

The fire department reported the fire caused $20,000 in damage.

Firefighters reported finding several cats in the basement. Coffelt said two cats were found alive and five others had died. Fulton Animal Control was called to the scene and took care of the dead animals.

One person inside the house was able to escape with a dog. Coffelt said the man didn't have any fire-related injuries and was not taken to the hospital. The fire department reported no other people were inside the house at the time.

Fire / News / Structure Fire / Top Stories

Matt Ragsdale

Matt Ragsdale is a broadcast and digital producer at ABC 17 News.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Skip to content