Skip to Content
Fire

Firefighters: Electrical malfunction caused early morning house fire on W. Worley

Columbia fire crews work to put out a fire on West Worley Street Tuesday morning.
Columbia fire crews work to put out a fire on West Worley Street Tuesday morning.

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

The Columbia Fire Department said an electrical malfunction caused an early morning house fire in central Columbia.

Columbia police blocked off the 600 block of W. Worley Street shortly after 12:30 a.m. as fire crews fought the blaze.

Fire officials at the scene said there was heavy fire coming from the home when crews arrived. CFD posted a photo to Twitter showing heavy smoke coming from the home shortly before 1 a.m.

A release from the fire department said firefighters brought the fire under control within 15 minutes of arriving at the residence.

Columbia Fire Department

Fire officials told ABC 17 News crews at the scene that no one was in the home at the time. No injuries were reported.

The fire department said in the release that the fire started in the kitchen and caused about $40,000 of damage.

Fire officials said West Worley Street should open back up by 3 a.m.

Columbia / Email Alert – Breaking News / News / Structure Fire / Top Stories / Video
Author Profile Photo

Molly Stawinoga

Molly Stawinoga is ABC 17’s weekday morning anchor and a reporter at ABC 17 News. Molly joined the news team in 2017 while studying political science, journalism and Spanish at the University of Missouri. She is originally from DeKalb, Illinois.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Skip to content