COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)
The Columbia Fire Department said an electrical malfunction caused an early morning house fire in central Columbia.
Columbia police blocked off the 600 block of W. Worley Street shortly after 12:30 a.m. as fire crews fought the blaze.
Fire officials at the scene said there was heavy fire coming from the home when crews arrived. CFD posted a photo to Twitter showing heavy smoke coming from the home shortly before 1 a.m.
A release from the fire department said firefighters brought the fire under control within 15 minutes of arriving at the residence.
Fire officials told ABC 17 News crews at the scene that no one was in the home at the time. No injuries were reported.
The fire department said in the release that the fire started in the kitchen and caused about $40,000 of damage.
Fire officials said West Worley Street should open back up by 3 a.m.