COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)
Boone County firefighters responded to an apartment fire Monday morning north of Columbia.
Crews were called to an apartment unit in the 700 block of Cunningham Drive around 10:11 a.m.
Firefighters at the scene said no one was home when the blaze broke out.
Neighbors called it in, crews said firefighters and the landlord saw smoke coming out of the residence.
Fire crews said an electric device may have caused the fire. Firefighters said damage to the living room was significant but that it did not spread to any neighboring apartment units.
Four kittens and two cats were exposed to smoke but were otherwise not hurt, crews said.
Fire officials reached out to the resident after the fire was put out.