BOONVILLE, Mo. (KMIZ)
A Cooper County prosecutor has charged two people with involuntary manslaughter and delivery of a controlled substance after a man dies from a drug overdose in May 2021.
Gary McCormick and Tamara Simmons were arrested Thursday in connection to Robert Jackson’s death.
According to court documents, Simmons called 9-1-1 on May 29 after finding Jackson unconscious and not breathing. When police arrived, they found Jackson not breathing and without a heartbeat. Emergency crews on the scene were unable to resuscitate Jackson before he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Officials say Jackson’s death appeared to be an overdose due to the foam coming from Jackson’s mouth and Simmons and McCormick had given two doses of Narcan to Jackson.
According to court documents, McCormick and Simmons said that they had purchased heroin earlier that day and gave some to Jackson to use. Both Simmons and McCormick reported to try and resuscitate Jackson before calling 9-1-1.
According to a medical examiner’s report, Jackson died from fentanyl and ethanol intoxication.
McCormick and Simmons both have a $25,000 cash or surety bond.
A court date has not been set at this time.