COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)
Police have visited a Columbia motel where a person was found dead Tuesday from a gunshot wound hundreds of times in the past year.
Marceino Carlous Moore, 36, was shot in the back of the head and killed at the Welcome Inn on North Providence Road. Police are investigating the death as a homicide.
According to dispatch records, Columbia police have been sent to the Welcome Inn 339 times since Dec. 10, 2018. This homicide response marks the 340th time.
The Red Roof Inn, located across Providence Road from the Welcome Inn, has had less than one-third of that amount of calls. Police have responded to the Red Roof Inn 102 times since Dec. 10, 2018.
Mike Campbell, an attorney at Campbell Law Firm, said that prosecutors in criminal law likely have their hands tied in situations like this. However, civil law could hold the motel accountable.
"As a hotel owner, or as any type of business owner, you have heightened responsibilities to the public," Campbell said. "If you're inviting them onto your property, to patronize, to buy things, or to stay there, you have a responsibility to make sure that they're safe while they're on your property."
On properties, especially businesses like motels, where there is heightened criminal activity, the owner is responsible for keeping patrons safe. Campbell mentioned that often, those traveling along Interstate 70 do not necessarily know of the crime that happens at the Welcome Inn.
ABC 17 News has contacted Welcome Inn about the incident but has not yet heard back.
The death also marks the 12th homicide in 2019 in Columbia. Below is a list of the previous homicides.
- Jan. 17: Deonte Gainwell, 20, was shot and killed on Weymeyer Drive.
- Jan. 26: Dominick Roland, 25, was shot and killed in the 3000 block of Range Line Street.
- Feb. 16: A car struck and killed Jordan Hoyt, 37, on West Boulevard.
- March 11: Wayne Trentman shot and killed his wife, 83-year-old Mary Trentman, before killing himself.
- June 26: David Morgan, 40, was shot and killed on Tupelo Place.
- Sept. 13: Nadria Wright, 18, was shot and killed at Forest and Grand avenues.
- Sept. 14: 19-year-old E’quan Spain died after being shot at the intersection of Fifth and Park.
- Sept. 22: Two people were shot and killed on McKee Street -- Antonio Houston, 36, and Danielle Marine, 32.
- Sept. 25: James Hickem, 23, was shot and killed near McBaine Avenue and Dunklin Street.
- Oct. 19: A 13-year-old boy was shot and killed in the 400 block of Rice Road.
Police have not released suspect information in two of the killings. There is no known suspect in the Sept. 22 double homicide or in the killing of James Hickem on Sept. 25.
Check back for more on this developing story or watch ABC 17 News at 5.