Skip to Content
Columbia

Central Columbia house fire caused by unattended cooking

Columbia Fire firefighters
Columbia Fire Department
Columbia firefighters responded to a house fire on N. College Avenue on Jan. 2.

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

Investigators say a residential fire on College Avenue on Jan. 2 was caused by unattended cooking.

The assistant fire marshal's report shows 67-year-old Michael Perry was heating up a pot of grease. Firefighters said Perry went outside while the grease was heating up on his stove. He told investigators that he tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher.

Columbia firefighters responded to 1107 N. College Avenue just before 8 p.m. Authorities said smoke damage was reported in the kitchen and in other areas of the residence. Firefighters estimated that the fire caused about $4,000 in damage.

Perry had to be taken to the hospital. The fire report said Perry inhaled smoke and had burns to his hands and left wrist.

Fire / News / Top Stories

Matt Ragsdale

Matt Ragsdale is a broadcast and digital producer at ABC 17 News.

Comments

Leave a Reply