Skip to Content
Boone

Boone County Fire District credits smoke detectors for saving life in Friday fire

Boone County Fire District firefighters responded to 7900 block of N. Benthall Rd to a house fire just after 1 p.m.
Boone County Fire District firefighters responded to 7900 block of N. Benthall Rd to a house fire just after 1 p.m.

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

Boone County Fire District firefighters responded to 7900 block of N. Benthall Rd to a house fire just after 1 p.m.

Firefighters reported seeing smoke showing from the vents and eaves of the house on the back side.

Firefighters report entering the house and finding high heat and heavy smoke conditions from floor to ceiling. Firefighters found fire in a large closet and extensive fire in the attic.

The fire continued to progress and soon burned through the roof. A short time later firefighters were pulled from the structure due to potential for roof collapse which did occur.

Firefighters were able to control the flames and then move back inside to finish extinguishing the fire.

The homeowner told officials that he was watching tv at the time and the smoke detector went off alerting him to the smoke coming from the large closet area.

The fire caused about $800,000 in damage to the structure and contents. The fire remains under investigation. There were no reported injuries.

Fire / News / Structure Fire / Top Stories

Karl Wehmhoener

Comments

Leave a Reply

Skip to content