Skip to Content

Man gets 12 years for assisting Gov. Whitmer kidnap plotter

By JOEY CAPPELLETTI and ED WHITE
Associated Press

JACKSON, Mich. (AP) — One of three men who forged an early alliance with the leader of a plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor was sentenced Thursday to 12 years in prison for assisting him before the FBI broke up the scheme in 2020.

Pete Musico was the first man to be sentenced in Jackson County. He will be followed by son-in-law Joe Morrison and Paul Bellar. They were convicted in October of providing material support for a terrorist act, which carries a maximum term of 20 years.

Musico, 45, Morrison, 28, and Bellar, 24, were members of a paramilitary group known as the Wolverine Watchmen. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer was never physically harmed by the plot.

Musico will be eligible for parole after serving 12 years for three crimes, Judge Thomas Wilson said. The maximum he can held in prison would be 42 years under state law.

Wilson presided over the first batch of convictions in state court, following the high-profile conspiracy convictions of four others in federal court. Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. were described as captains of an incredible plan to snatch Gov. Gretchen Whitmer from her vacation home, seeking to inspire a U.S. civil war known as the “boogaloo.”

Whitmer, a Democrat recently elected to a second term, was never physically harmed. Undercover FBI agents and informants were inside Fox’s group for months, and the scheme was broken up with 14 arrests in October 2020.

Morrison, Musico and Bellar held gun training with Fox in rural Jackson County and shared his disgust for Whitmer, police and public officials, especially after COVID-19 restrictions disrupted the economy and triggered armed Capitol protests and anti-government belligerence.

But defense attorneys argued that the trio had cut ties with Fox before the Whitmer plot came into focus by late summer of 2020; Bellar had moved to South Carolina in July. The three men also didn’t travel with Fox to look for the governor’s second home or participate in a key training session inside a “shoot house” in Luther, Michigan.

“Mr. Bellar is clueless about any plot to kidnap the governor,” attorney Andrew Kirkpatrick said again in a court filing last week.

A jury, however, quickly returned guilty verdicts in October after hearing nine days of testimony, mostly evidence offered by a pivotal FBI informant, Dan Chappel, and federal agents. The jury agreed with prosecutors that the Wolverine Watchmen constituted a criminal gang.

Separately, in federal court in Grand Rapids, Fox and Croft face possible life sentences in two weeks. Two men who pleaded guilty received substantial breaks: Ty Garbin is free after a 2 1/2-year prison term while Kaleb Franks was given a four-year sentence. Brandon Caserta and Daniel Harris were acquitted by a jury.

When the plot was foiled, Whitmer blamed then-President Donald Trump, saying he had given “comfort to those who spread fear and hatred and division.” In August, after 19 months out of office, Trump said the kidnapping plan was a “fake deal.”

___

White reported from Detroit. Joey Cappelletti is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.

Article Topic Follows: AP National News

Jump to comments ↓

associatedpress

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content