SALISBURY, Mo. (KMIZ)
Funeral services for are set for Sunday for Cheryl Springer, a 75-year-old Salisbury woman who died in a fire.
The funeral services are scheduled for 2:00 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in Salisbury. The interment will follow at the Prairie Hill Cemetery.
Cheryl's grandson Maxwell Springer also died in the fire a week ago. His funeral services took place on Friday at the Summerville Funeral Home.
Cheryl and Maxwell died in a house fire on Dec 11. The Salisbury Fire Department responded to the fire at 207 West Third Street at 1:33 a.m. according to a news release.
Firefighters found 17-year-old Maxwell already dead when they arrived. Cheryl was taken to the hospital with critical injuries and later died. Those on scene said Cheryl died from smoke inhalation.
Since the deaths of Cheryl and Maxwell, Salisbury community members have expressed how losing both has impacted them.
Cheryl's friend, Jean Havery wished she could see her friend one more time. "I just feel terrible that she had to end her life like this and she was with her grandson and it is just so sad," Harvey said.
Cheryl worked at the First Baptist Church as a secretary and at the Dulany Memorial Library for more than 40 years. She also worked at the local food bank.
The Salisbury fire is one two recent fires that has left two people dead. The second happened in Columbia on Wednesday.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, two leading causes of fires in the winter are
electrical and heating, with space heaters accounting for 40% of fires.
NFPA recommends when using a heating source like fireplaces, wood stoves, or radiators, it's important to keep anything flammable at least 3-feet away.