JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KMIZ)
The Jefferson City Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 1200 block of East Dunklin Street Saturday shortly before 1 p.m.
Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke and flames showing from the backside of the building. All occupants of the building had evacuated.
Firefighters entered the structure and found fire on the first and second levels and attic. The building had fire, smoke, and water damage on all levels after crews contained the fire.
According to a press release from the fire department, seven adults and one child were displaced by the fire, and are now being helped by the Red Cross.
Two pets died in the fire.
The fire was accidental in nature, and began on the first-floor deck. The Jefferson City Fire Department is advising people to use caution when disposing of smoldering materials.