Every Monday, our sports intern Tyler Driesenga will look back at this past week in sports news. Plus - he'll give us his at-home tip of the week to keep you motivated during these tough times. You can watch his latest tip of the week in the video player above.
Without further ado, here's Tyler:
The NFL pulled it off! The fully virtual draft came and went with relatively few hiccups. Here’s a look at what the Chiefs did in this unique draft and the rest of the news from the past week in sports.
- Chiefs take Edwards-Helaire with first round pick: The defending Super Bowl champs held the final pick of the first round and selected the running back from another championship team - the LSU Tigers. Clyde Edwards-Helaire ran for 1,414 yards and 16 touchdowns last season, averaging a stellar 6.6 yards per carry as the Tigers won the College Football Playoff. Here’ who the Chiefs took with their remaining picks.
- 2nd round, 63rd overall: Willie Gay, Jr. – ILB – Mississippi State
- 3rd round, 96th overall: Lucas Niang – OT – TCU
- 4th round, 138th overall: L’Jarius Sneed – DB – Louisiana Tech
- 5th round, 177th overall: Michael Danna – DE – Michigan
- 7th round, 237th overall: Thakarius Keyes – CB – Tulane
- Former Mizzou standouts find NFL homes: Former defensive lineman Jordan Elliott was the first Tiger taken in this year’s draft. The Browns took Elliott in the third round. Tight end Albert Okwuegbunam will be reunited with quarterback Drew Lock in Denver as the Broncos took Okwuegbunam in the fourth round. While Elliott and Okwuegbunam were the only Tigers drafted, all of these former Mizzou players have signed as undrafted free agents:
- Yasir Durant – OL – Kansas City Chiefs
- Tre’Vour Wallace-Sims – OL – Jacksonville Jaguars
- Trystan Colon-Castillo – OL – Baltimore Ravens
- Ronnell Perkins – DB – San Francisco 49ers
- DeMarkus Acy – CB – San Francisco 49ers
- Cale Garrett – LB – Tennessee Titans
- Tucker McCann – K – Tennessee Titans
- Johnathon Johnson – WR – Washington Redskins
- Mizzou football lands two recruits from St. Louis: Coach Drinkwitz added DeSmet running back Taj Butts and Washington High School tight end Ryan Hoerstkamp to the 2021 recruiting class on Saturday.
- Mizzou basketball adds graduate transfer: Drew Buggs announced on social media he's committed to play for the Tigers. The former Hawaii guard has one year of eligibility remaining. He averaged 9.4 points, 5.4 assists and 4.5 rebounds per game last season for the Rainbow Warriors.
- Mizzou basketball adds junior college transfer: The Tigers added forward Ed Chang from Salt Lake Community College. Chang played one year at San Diego State before transferring to Salt Lake CC. He will have two years of eligibility at Mizzou.
- Bengals take Joe Burrow with No. 1 pick: To the surprise of no one, the Cincinnati Bengals took LSU quarterback Joe Burrow with the first overall pick in Thursday night’s NFL Draft. Burrow had an incredible season last fall, annihilating Drew Lock’s SEC record for passing touchdowns in a season (Lock’s record was 44, Burrow finished with 60) and winning the Heisman Trophy.
- Packers surprise by taking QB Jordan Love in first round: The Green Bay Packers shocked everybody when the team selected Utah State quarterback Jordan Love in the first round of the NFL Draft Thursday night. The Packers, who made it to the NFC Championship Game last season, have star quarterback Aaron Rodgers signed to a large contract through the 2023 season.
- Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson to stage golf event with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning: The golfing and football legends will pair up for a televised golf match on TNT. The event’s announcement did not include exact details, but the match will be played sometime in May and will benefit COVID-19 relief efforts. Mickelson will pair with Brady and Woods with Manning.