Ameren Missouri crews were working late Friday afternoon to repair a gas leak in central Mexico.
The Mexico Public Safety Department was sent to the natural gas leak in the 100 block of East Promenade Street at 12:42 p.m., said department Maj. Brice Mesko. Private contractors had damaged a gas line, causing the leak, Mesko said.
The block was closed to traffic and buildings were evacuated and opened up so the gas would not build up inside, Mesko said. Mexico Public Safety crews cleared the scene at 2:17 p.m., but Ameren crews were still working to repair the line at about 5 p.m.
Ameren confirmed that 87 customers were affected, including a hospital. Twenty-five of the customers were residential, officials with Ameren said.
The gas line was damaged by a contractor working for Ameren Missouri, officials said.
No one was injured, Mesko said.