Skip to Content

Unattended cooking cause of Broadway apartment fire

Unattended cooking caused $175,000 worth of damage after a fire at a Columbia apartment building Sunday, according to the fire marshal.

The Columbia Fire Department was dispatched to the apartment on E. Broadway Sunday afternoon and arrived five minutes later to find heavy smoke coming out of the apartment building. First responders were able to control the fire within 10 minutes.

The fire marshal determined the fire started in the kitchen and was caused by unattended cooking. The apartment had working smoke alarms. There were no injuries in the fire, and the occupants are displaced and working with the Red Cross on temporary accommodations.

Sign up for email news alerts by clicking here

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content