Skip to Content

Health officials warn of carbon monoxide poisoning as temperatures begin to drop

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services officials are warning residents of the potential of carbon monoxide poisoning as the temperatures continue to drop.

Carbon monoxide is an orderless, colorless gas that kills hundreds of people every year.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headaches, dizziness, weakness, vomiting and confusion.

Officials ask residents to place CO detectors inside their home, especially near every sleeping area. Residents who already have CO detectors are asked to regularly check them to make sure they are functioning properly.

Residents should never use a generator inside the home or garage, even if doors and windows are open. Generators should only be used outside, more than 20 feet away from the residence.

Officials also ask residents to have their furnace inspected every year.

Residents who believe they do have CO poisoning should get fresh air immediately and should turn off appliances such as stoves, ovens and heaters.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content