Skip to Content

Jefferson City firefighters blame unattended candle for structure fire

The Jefferson City Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 block of Case Avenue on Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters said when they arrived on scene they saw flames showing from a second story window of a two-story residence. They were able to extinguish the fire quickly and keep the fire to a room on the second floor.

One adult and two children were inside the house at the time of the fire but no one was injured, according to firefighters. They said the cause of the flame was a candle left unattended.

ABC 17 News spoke with a woman who lives in the home Wednesday evening. She said she had lit the candle for Kwanzaa and it got too close to a blanket. The festival began on Tuesday and runs through Jan. 1.

Officials warn residents to be mindful of their lit candles and to never leave them unattended.

The Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.

The estimated cost of the damages has not been released at this time.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content