Skip to Content

Smoke detector saves Columbia residents

Mid-Missouri Fire departments cannot overstress the importance of not only having smoke detectors installed in residents homes, but that they work.

ABC 17 News heard from neighbors that one woman whose home caught fire is safe because she heard her smoke detector alarms go off.

Columbia Assistant Fire Chief Brad Frazier said having smoke detectors that work is crucial.

“We recommend that you test your smoke alarm monthly by pressing the top (button) … (alarm beeps) … it’ll alarm, that’ll let you know that your batteries are working and your smoke alarms are working,” Frazier said.

The Columbia woman had enough time to get her kids and her children to safety.

Columbia Fire Department said Tuesday’s fire was ruled accidental and the cause was an electrical nature with damages estimating up to $150,000.

Neighbors told ABC 17 News, the alarms did well by notifying her.

Frazier said in the last two years alone, there have been 288 structural fires. Ninety-five homes had smoke alarms present and of those, 45 smoke alarms notified those who were home.

The woman’s father, who happens to live nearby, said he’s just glad everyone is safe, although his daughter did lose one cat due to smoke inhalation.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content