Skip to Content

One person hurt after house fire in Benton-Stephens neighborhood

UPDATE 11/10 – 8:00 A.M.: Fire officials said two people were in the Ann Street apartment at the time of the fire, one of whom received minor burns while attempting to put the fire out.

The Columbia Fire Department Fire Marshal’s Office investigation determined that the blaze started in a bedroom and wa most-likely caused by a portable space heater placed too close to combustibles.

The damage caused by the fire is estimated to be $10,000.

“The Columbia Fire Department would like to remind residents to keep at least three feet clearance from combustibles when using portable space heaters,” said Battalion Chief Tim Bach.

ORIGINAL: The Columbia Fire Department responded to a fire in the Benton-Stephens Neighborhood Thursday night.

It happened around 10:25 p.m. in the 400 block of Ann Street at a six-unit apartment home.

The fire was contained to a single lower level unit.

Capt. Brian Tilman with the Columbia Fire Department said he was told one person had minor burns, but was not treated. No one else was believed to be injured.

There was also some smoke damage.

{“url”:”″,”author_name”:”Columbia_Fire”,”author_url”:””,”html”:”&#lt;blockquote class=”twitter-tweet”&#gt;&#lt;p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”&#gt;Columbia Fire Crews are on the scene of a residential structure fire at 407 Ann St. &#lt;a href=””&#gt;;/a&#gt;&#lt;/p&#gt;– Columbia_Fire (@Columbia_Fire) &#lt;a href=””&#gt;November 10, 2017&#lt;/a&#gt;&#lt;/blockquote&#gt;n&#lt;script async src=”” charset=”utf-8″&#gt;&#lt;/script&#gt;n”,”width”:550,”height”:null,”type”:”rich”,”cache_age”:”3153600000″,”provider_name”:”Twitter”,”provider_url”:””,”version”:”1.0″}

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content