Skip to Content

Officer involved shooting that killed one was warranted, says Cole County Prosecuting Attorney

An officer involved shooting that killed John Loaiza Jr., 40, has been deemed as warranted by the Cole County Prosecuting Attorney.

State law indicates that if someone feels like they’re in danger of death of physical injury, they may use deadly force to protect themselves.

“The facts showed that the the police were warranted and, in fact, it was necessary for them to use deadly force to protect their own lives,” said Prosecutor Mark Richardson.

The case has officially been closed.

ABC 17 News previously reported on the shooting earlier this month, when police said they responded to a domestic disturbance in the 300 block of East Dunklin Street just after midnight.

Police said once officers arrived, they tried to contact Loaiza, but instead were forced to back away after Loaiza threatened them, asking if they wanted to die.

Loaiza broke out several windows of the home with a metal pipe and told officers to shoot him, police said.

Police said Loaiza later charged at the officers with the pipe still in his hand, forcing them into the street.

Loaiza continued to go toward the officers with the pipe and the officers fired their guns, police said. Loaiza was shot six times.

Another domestic assault incident occurred involving Loaiza in early June of this year. According to the probable cause statement, Loaiza head-butted the victim after the two got into an argument.

Officers said they tried to talk to the suspect, who confronted police with a knife and baseball bat.

Richardson said his violent criminal history did play a role in his ruling.

“A person’s past may be important to know how firm their intention is.. to commit serious harm or death to a police officer,” said Richardson. “Here, there were things found by Highway Patrol that show past actions that certainly showed Mr. Loaiza’s firmness of intent to present the perception that he was going to hurt or kill an officer.”

Police said the suspect retreated upstairs and barricaded himself inside the apartment.

After a two-and-a-half hour standoff with Jefferson City Police and SWAT crisis negotiators, Loaiza was taken into custody.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content