Skip to Content

Law enforcement investigate possible threats at three mid-Missouri schools this week

Three mid-Missouri school districts were on heightened alert this week after receiving reports of possible threats made against schools.

Sedalia School District 200 announced Wednesday evening it was made aware of a threat on social media against Smith-Cotton High School.

The district said it increased security at the high school and around campus all week continuing into Monday. The Sedalia Police Department, Pettis County Sheriff’s Office and FBI are now investigating.

The district said Wednesday nothing had been found to make officials believe the threat was credible.

A South Callaway High School student was arrested Wednesday night after allegedly sending a threatening message on Snapchat.

Gage Quick, 17, was arrested late Wednesday night after the school district contacted law enforcement officers.

According to the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office, the message showed Quick with a pistol and read: “Y’all better be ready for what goin down when get back to school.”

Sheriff Clay Chism said Thursday after investigating the threat, it did not appear there was a imminent threat to the school.

“This isn’t a joking matter and we aren’t going to treat it as a joke,” he said.

Quick is facing charges of making a terrorist threat. As of Friday afternoon, he had not been charged.

Superintendent Kevin Hillman said Quick was not on school grounds Thursday and Friday. He said he couldn’t discuss specific disciplinary action that might be taken against Quick.

Hillman said school board members gathered Thursday night to discuss and review district procedures for situations involving threats against the school.

The Morgan County R-II School District said it was also investigating a possible verbal threat made against the high school on Wednesday.

Superintendent Dr. Joyce Ryerson said the threat was along the lines of someone “shooting up the school.” She said after talking to students, the district was able to determine that no one directly heard the threat and there was no credible threat against the school.

She said the district has had extra law enforcement around campus all week and that will continue through next week as well.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content