Skip to Content

Fire temporarily closes College Ave. convenience store, customers can still get gas

A Columbia convenience store was temporarily closed after a small fire Friday night.

The fire happened at the Phillips 66 Petro-Mart just after 10 p.m.

Fire crews on the scene told ABC 17 News that the fire likely started with a fan in the women’s restroom. It was there that Employees smelled smoke and found a plastic fan cover on the floor and on fire.

They were able to put out the fire with an extinguisher before the department arrived.

Once on the scene, firefighters found the store covered in a smokey haze.

A fire marshal and the health department will investigate.

The store will not re-open until the inspection is done, because the business sells food.

Customers can still get gas at the pump.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content