Battle High School parents have mixed reactions as to how the district handled a student’s violent threat.
Wednesday afternoon, the Columbia Police Department took a 15-year-old into custody for that threat.
One parent, who wanted to remain anonymous for her and her child’s safety, told ABC 17 News on the phone she wasn’t pleased with the way the district made the incident sound like it wasn’t a big deal.
“I feel like they just wanted to sweep it under the rug and downplay it,” she said. “The administration needed to be more transparent with parents.”
The parent told ABC 17 News, Battle High School informed her the rumored threat had been investigated for three months, but found no substance to the threat. What she said made her upset was the fact that a student was arrested for the threats.
“If there was no evidence for the threat, then why did a student get arrested for it?” she said.
The district released a statement to parents on Tuesday regarding the rumors and said “there is absolutely no evidence to support such rumors.”
Another parent ABC 17 News spoke with as he was picking up his son from school told ABC 17 News these types of threats hit close to home. Doug Calhoun, a former Colorado resident, said he was 3 miles away at work when the Columbine High School massacre happened.
“It’s something you don’t think is going to happen so close to home,” Calhoun said. “Any threat like that has to be taken seriously in this day and age, you don’t know what is going to happen.”
Calhoun said he decided to send his son to school because he had faith CPS took care of the issue.
“I have faith CPS did everything they could, they investigated it fully, we received several emails about it,” Calhoun said. “As long as they say everything is fine, it’s business as usual to us.”
Columbia Police Department said although they believe there is no threat to school Thursday, they will have an increased law enforcement presence at school.