UPDATE 4/5: A spokesperson for the Columbia Fire Department says there were two adults and four children inside of the residence at the time of the fire but everyone was able to get out safely.
He also said when firefighters first arrived on scene they saw flames coming from the roof but were extinguished 30 minutes later.
Firefighters stayed on scene for three more hours to make sure hot spots did not re-ignite again.
The Fire Marshall believes the fire started in the second floor bathroom because of left over embers due to a torch that was used for plumbing problems.
The estimated amount of damage is $150,000.
ORIGINAL: Crews were working to extinguish a fire in south Columbia Tuesday night.
Firefighters received multiple calls about the house fire in the 1300 block of White Oak Lane just after 7 p.m.
Smoke was visible from Stadium Boulevard and could be seen coming from the attic.
Residents were being told to stay back while multiple units worked the scene.
Crews on scene told ABC 17 News they were working to find out if anyone was home when the fire began.