Skip to Content

Governor announces funding for tornado sirens, safe rooms

Governor Jay Nixon has announced funding for eight projects in southern Missouri to build warning sirens and tornado safe rooms.

Nixon authorized the State Emergency Management Agency to use just over $5 million for the projects. That money comes from hazard mitigation grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The FEMA program provides 75% of the funding for approved projects, and local grant recipients pay the remaining 25%.

The counties receiving the school safe room projects include Christian, Greene, Webster, Laclede, Oregon, and Ozark Counties. Outdoor warning installation has been approved in Shannon, Texas, and Jackson Counties.

“The severe weather we had in late December was a painful reminder of just how dangerous flooding and severe storms can be at any time of the year,” Gov. Nixon said. “I urge all Missourians to plan for severe weather and understand the threat posed by driving in areas experiencing flash flooding. I also want to thank all of our dedicated emergency management and response personnel for keeping people safe during severe weather and spreading the word about these very real dangers.”

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content