Fire officials in Fulton have confirmed Bobby Metz, 82, died in a house fire on East Reed Street Monday night. Another person in the home was able to get out and was treated for minor burns. An autopsy is set for Tuesday.
Firefighters reported heavy flames at the home when they arrived Monday night. At one point, they had to back off their attack because of the intensity of the fire. They got the fire under control within about an hour of arrival.
Interim fire chief Kevin Coffelt tells ABC 17 News there were a total of two people inside when the fire started.
The cause of the fire has been determined to be smoking materials, such as cigarettes and related items. The damage to the house has been estimated at $120,000.
The state fire marshal is investigating, along with Fulton police and the Fulton fire department.
Check back with ABC 17 News at Noon and abc17news.com for updates.