Skip to Content

Baby accidentally suffocates while at daycare

A 1-year-old baby girl died in what investigators said is a tragic accident at a Columbia daycare.

Emergency responders were called to a home on Alamos Place Thursday afternoon for an unresponsive baby.

Boone County Sheriff’s Detective Tom O’Sullivan said the infant became entangled in her blankets during nap time and suffocated.

“The preliminary indications are that it was an accidental suffocation,” O’Sullivan said.

He said the childcare provider isn’t facing any charges right now because it appears to be an accident.

He also said the investigation is still ongoing until they get the autopsy results back.

Neighbors were shocked to hear about the tragedy, especially because they said the child care provider is such a wonderful woman and cares about her children she watches so much.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content