Skip to Content

Fire causes $50,000 worth of damage to Columbia home

Columbia fire crews determined the cause of a Thursday afternoon fire on Blue Ridge Drive.

Crews responded to the 1700 block around 2:00.

Investigators said the fire started after smoking materials were thrown away.

When they got there, smoke was coming out of the front of the house and flames were seen coming out of an upstairs rear window.

The fire was contained to the upstairs bedroom. The house sustained heavy smoke damage to the 2nd level, and minor smoke and water damage to the main level.

Two people were inside the home but were not hurt.

The home had smoke detectors but they did not have batteries. Damage is estimated to be near $50,000.

The fire was put out in 15 minutes and temporarily blocked traffic in both directions for almost an hour.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content