Skip to Content

Man Killed in JC Shooting

***UPDATE FRIDAY 7:12 P.M.***Police arrested Calvin Hutson for the shooting. They also arrested a second suspect, Justin Beasley, as turned himself into police. The two are being charged for murder, robbery, and armed criminal action. Police tell ABC 17 News Beasley and Hutson planned to rob Andre Hudson. They believe something happened and Hutson and Hudson started shooting at each other. Police only got one 911 call about the shooting. One officer got to the scene and stopped a car coming from the area driven by Beasley. Beasley took off running from the officer but the officer couldn’t follow, someone was in the backseat of the car.”He stopped the pursuit and went back to offer assistance and found there was a subject Andre Hudson was in the backseat and had died from gunshot wounds,” Jefferson City police captain Bob Cynova explains.It wasn’t until more police arrived that they noticed a trail of blood. They followed it for nearly three blocks when they found Hutson passed out on the side of the street. He was sent to University Hospital and underwent surgery.Detectives were able to fill in a lot of holes in the investigation throughout the day when they were finally able to talk with Hutson in the hospital and Beasley turned himself in. Court dates for Beasley and Hutson have not been set yet. Beasley is being held in the Cole County jail on no bond. Huston remains at University Hospital recovering from surgery.***UPDATE FRIDAY 4:15 P.M.***Jefferson City Police Commander Bob Cynova corrected earlier statements today, saying that officers originally responded to the 200 block of Schroeder Way — not the 300 block. Detectives have also identified a third suspect in the case: Justin Lamar Beasley, 20, of Jefferson City. Cops say Beasley was the driver of the Dodge Stratus found on Schroeder Way. Investigators claim Calvin Hutson and Justin Beasley planned to rob Andre Hudson when they met in the 200 block of Schroeder Way. In the course of an unspecified transaction, gunshots were allegedly exchanged between Hutson and Hudson inside the vehicle. Hutson was able to run from the scene and made it to the 200 block of West Dunklin Street, where he collapsed as a result of his injuries. Beasley turned himself in to detectives, and faces charges of second degree murder, first degree attempted robbery (acting in concert), armed criminal action, and felony resisting arrest. Hutson faces charges of second degree murder, first degree attempted armed robbery, armed criminal action, and felon in possession of a firearm. Hutson remains at University Hospital in Columbia, and his condition is not life-threatening as of Friday evening.Both suspects are being held with no bond. ***UPDATE FRIDAY 10:30 A.M.***Jefferson City police have identified the victims of Thursday night’s shooting. They say they found Andre Hudson, 41, of Holts Summit, shot dead in the back seat of a 2001 grey Dodge Stratus in the 400 block of West Schroeder Way. Officers found Calvin Hutson, 35, of Jefferson City, in the 300 block of West Dunklin Street by following a blood trail from the original crime scene. Hutson was airlifted to University Hospital in Columbia for treatment of gunshot wounds. Police are looking into the relationship between Hudson and the driver of the Dodge Stratus, and say the two gunshot victims were acquaintances. The investigation continues Friday morning, and ABC 17 News has reporters working with detectives to get the latest details in the case, as they emerge throughout the day. ***ORIGINAL STORY***Jefferson City Police Officers responded to the 300 block of Schroeder Way, Thursday at 7:22 p.m. in response to a 911 call about a shooting that had just occurred. Upon arrival, officers stopped a vehicle in the 400 block of Schroeder Way. One subject ran from the area of the vehicle but was lost after a brief foot chase. Inside the vehicle officers found a male victim with gunshot wounds who had already died. Officers found a second victim of the shooting in the 300 block of West Dunklin Street after following a blood trail from the original scene. That subject was transported by ambulance to St. Mary’s Hospital and then was taken by a Staff for Life helicopter to University Hospital in Columbia for treatment of gunshot wounds.Detectives are interviewing witnesses about the shooting Thursday night, and the investigation is ongoing.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content