A flue fire at a Columbia home spread Sunday afternoon, causing damage to walls and the roof.The family first noticed the fire around 3:30 p.m., coming from their chimney in the 4600 block of Copper Stone Court. Within 15 minutes, flames had burst through a living room wall and into the attic and roof.Firefighters at the scene told ABC 17 News hot spots were continuing to pop up in the attic and crews had to knock a hole in the roof to get it under control. Damage estimates weren’t available at the scene Sunday evening.One adult and one child were inside at the time of the fire and called it in. They got out unhurt.Columbia fire crews said the incident should serve as an unfortunate reminder during the winter.”Despite the house being new, creosote can build up,” said Battalion Chief Brad Frazier. “You need to get your chimney cleaned at least once a year.”A news release Sunday said the home had working smoke detectors.
BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION
ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.
Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here
If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.