Skip to Content

Popular Baby Sleeper Recalled

About 800,000 infant sleepers are being recalled after hundreds are found tainted with mold. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says mold has been found in the Fisher Price newborn Rock ‘N Play sleeper after babies use it. They say several babies have been treated for health problems after sleeping in it.Safety officials tell ABC 17 News the most likely problems would involve respiratory illnesses or infections if your child comes in contact with mold. They say if you do have the sleeper, there are some things you can do to make sure your child doesn’t get sick.Safety officials tell us these Rock ‘N Play sleepers are designed to sleep a baby up to 25-pounds. But they say they’re prone to developing mold after babies start sleeping in them. They say about 600 complaints have come in since the sleeper hit the shelves in 2009.Doctors say there are two common reactions when a baby comes in contact with mold.”Respiratory type thing if they were for some reason stir it up, or if you got it on your skin some might be allergic to it and might cause some type of reaction to it,” Broadway Urgent Care Doctor Ross Duff says.Safety experts say in most cases the mold started to develop in between the removable seat cushion and the hard plastic frame. They tell us when that part gets wet, it needs to be cleaned and dried or the child could be exposed to it and have a reaction. “Even if you purchased the product a while ago and you still have it in your possession, we want you to take a look at it and see if there’s mold under the product and act, we want you to reach out to Fisher Price,” US Consumer Product Safety Commission spokeswoman Kim Dulic explains. Doctors tell us if your child does come into contact with this it’s most likely not anything major. So far sixteen people have reported their babies being treated for things like coughs and hives after being in the sleeper. It shouldn’t cause any long-term effects unless the baby comes down with an infection.”Actually diagnosing a major mold infection is kind of hard to do and most infants, children and adults don’t have major reactions that way,” Duff says.Doctors say the best thing you can do is wash the mold out of the sleeper. He says simple bleach and water would do the trick.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content